Monday, February 20, 2006

Laos - Back to Luang Prabang (Beth takes the plunge!)

We got lucky in Nong Khia and managed to join a group of French folk on a boat back to Luang Prabang so it only cost $10. Unfortunately whilst stepping on to the boat Beth, (still wearing her rucksack), decide that this was the best time to take a dip. The pier, (which was really just a few dozen bamboo poles floating near the boat), went one way and the boat went the opposite. Beth remained undecided as to which to go with and fell arse first into the water. Having got her sodden self into the boat she then stripped down to her pants to get changed. The locals looked on aghast at the free 'Stoopid Westerner' show in full flow.
I wish I had a picture to go with this but Beth had the camera so you'll just have to use your imaginations.
Back in LP I treated Beth to a few hours in a Spa as part of her birthday treat while I sat and had a beer. She came out looking radiant and with a slightly far-away look in here eyes. After that we headed to a great French restaurant where we splashed out on great wine and lovely food. I've never been so gratefull to the French in all my life as I have been of late, all through Laos & Cambodia you can get French wine & baguettes. After the dubious, overly-sweet approximation of bread they have in Malaysia & Thailand and the mostly rubbish lager a baguette and a drop of vino has never seemed so welcome a sight. They also put up some cracking houses.
I'll freely admit to being rather ignorant of the French Empire, up until now I didn't even think they'd had one, not on a large scale anyway, but there's evidence of it all over S.E. Asia, (except Thailand), and it's something I'll definitely have to bone-up on when I get back to Blighty.

No comments: